Monday, July 26, 2010

Pioneer Day July 24th

This last Saturday was Pioneer Day for all us here in Utah so all the folks who work for federal based companies didn't get a day off like we did, ha ha! Take that mail men! Unfortunately it was too hot even move so we didn't do much. We met up with Tim's family to watch the Day's '47 parade and it was actually really fun. It IS fun to have a float in the parade and we did have one. At least Tim and I did, well our stake did. It was funny to pull into the church parking lot the next day and see it sitting there all alone. After the parade, we went home and chilled in the air conditioning for a while. Then when it had cooled off outside and we decided our skin wasn't going to melt off our bones, we ventured out to my parents house who were setting up for Justin's Sunday Before He Left on His Mission in Two Weeks Cause the Week He Leaves is Fast Sunday.Whew, that was a mouthful. Now why can't we call it a farewell again? Wouldn't that just be easier? Oh well, I guess they had their reasons. Anyway we helped set up for that in the back yard and then we went home. Riley didn't sleep well that night. Not at all. She decided she wanted to wake up screaming at 2:30 am and come in our bed. Apparently she sleeps better when she's thrashing around, smacking me in the face. We had given her motrin for her teeth, fed, her changed her diaper, walked around with her and rocked her. Eventually she fell asleep in our bed all hot and sweaty, but that wasn't until about 3:30 and then she woke up again at 5:30 after Tim had put her back into her bed. My parents church starts at nine so we had to be up in 4 hours. 4 hours??? I couldn't stay up 4 hours waiting around for church to happen. So I got Riley back to sleep around 7:30. Tim was still asleep in bed and as I was falling asleep he gets up and says " We should probably get up and ready to go soon." I didn't move. "Mel? We need to shower and stuff."
"No." Was all I could say, mostly because if I said anything else I would have said naughty things that would've hurt his feelings.
So I got to doze until about 8:30 when Riley came crawling into my bedroom whining at me. Guess what she wasn't dressed for church either. So I got up, got in the shower and got ready as Tim got Riley dressed. Then we packed up the car and headed out to West Valley. Remember how I said my parents church started at 9? yeah guess who wasn't late? That's right, US!!!! We live the farthest away and I even woke up super late and we were still there before my siblings. We even had time to drop off the food at my parents house. They hadn't even left for church yet!!! Yeah I know. We're amazing, you don't have to say, it'll just make me blush. So we go to the church sit down and as soon as Riley she sees Justin up on the stand she starts laughing her can off, as Steph would say. She loves her Uncle J and will miss him dearly. Lucky us we get to keep him for another week before he has to go! She also had a good time playing Abi and sharing snack cereal. I love seeing all my family together, even though it's sometimes awkward, cause I never know what to say or how to say it. Oh well. When sacrament meeting was over we went over to my parents house for an early Cafe Rio lunch. Yes, I know it's breaking the rules to have that sort of thing, but my mom felt she was kind of expected to. Then around noon we headed back to our church so I could get sustained and set apart in my new calling as Visiting Teaching Representative, so I'm the one who gets to call people I don't know and hound them about visiting people they don't know. Should be exciting.


Abi Riley and Rowan. Rowan was all stoked to get his picture taken but the kid wouldn't hold still for two seconds!


Riley and her Uncle Trev. She LOVES her uncles... Unless it's Spencer or even Chris some days.


This is our parade float from our stake. It's totally cool to have one in the parade.


Look it's Mr. Talbot!!! He was my band teacher in Jr. High. He has been the leader of the letter carrier band for a long time and it looks like he going to keep on doing it.


This is from Heber Valley Railroad, which I've heard is really fun to go experience. they are having Cowboy Days in November and I'm totally rallying for that. Don't you think that would be fun? Of course it would be.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ohhh how I miss the 24th. It was just a normal day here in good ole Missouri! Ohh well next year it will be a normal day in good ole Alabama.