Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Now on a Serious Note...

I just read in the news that there was an apartment fire near Tim's work which is only 15 minutes from my house. This got me thinking, "If my home caught on fire, what would I grab other than my dog and my children (cause there's no way I'm leaving them)" So as I sit here thinking about it and worrying myself about it, several things come to my mind. Clothes. Cause I don't wear pajamas, which is probably a bad idea. Shoes. Good sturdy walking shoes. I would grab my computer and the external hard drive because all my pictures of my kids are there, My phone, so I can call my parents letting them know we're going to need a place to stay, cause my parents or in-laws wouldn't let us out in the street, Extra clothes and blankets for my children (ideally we're suppose to have a kit with all important things in it), because they matter more than I do. My temple recommend, My purse with all my stuff in it (i.e.; keys, wallet, etc..), my kids identity things, and my husbands and my identity things which would hopefully be in a fireproof safe or something, my wedding pictures which would also hopefully be in the fireproof safe and my family pictures which would also be in there. Of course people are thinking what about the basic necessities, Melanie? Food and water I can find or make, but the things I chose are the things most important to me. Of course my husband would be able to help himself, but if he wasn't he would go on the list as well, near the top. Think about it. What would you save? What can you do without? Because as some 20 people in Midvale found out this morning, it can be taken away in a few hours. Luckily, no one was hurt or killed in the fire and all managed to get out of the building. Unluckily, the building is now condemned and the residents will not be allowed to go into the building for any reason at all. Please pray for these people. Pay your tithing as it helps to help them. Donate what you can, time, money, food, clothes, whatever to help these 20 people, because you never know when it could be you standing out in the street in your pajamas watching your house burn down.

Kay I'll get off my soap box now.

No comments: