Thursday, June 17, 2010

New Recipe

So since I'm blessed enough to be a stay at home mom, I watch daytime tv sometimes. Yes it does happen, I have seen my fair share of soap operas, and yes I'm sorry, I laugh my head off whilst I'm watching. Today I'm watching the Rachel Ray show. Normally I don't watch these shows religiously and every once in a while something she does will catch my eye. Everyone knows that I'm not one to be really healthy when it comes to my waistline, because if it tastes good and I'm happy with it, why on earth would I not eat it? So anyways, Rachel Ray was doing this boneless skinless ranch style fried chicken. K who doesn't like fried chicken? So I've heard that most of the fatty parts of the fried chicken is the skin! the crispy fatty goodness of the skin.... mmmmm whoops focus, so if it's skinless it's healthier right? And it's even better because it's BONELESS so you don't have to work very hard to get a little bit of meat. Now that we all know why I'm a few pounds over weight, here's the recipe, give it a try and let me know what YOU think of it!


Tangy Ranch-Style Boneless Fried Chicken

Serve with a slaw salad mix dressed with vinegar, oil and seasoned with celery salt and pepper and large deli pickle spears alongside.



Ingredients
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup Greek-style yogurt
4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast, 6 to 8 ounces each
4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Salt and pepper
Frying oil
Large brown paper sack
2 cups flour
4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill or 4 teaspoons dried dill, eyeball it
2 tablespoons granulated onion, a couple of palmfuls
2 tablespoons granulated garlic, a couple of palmfuls
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, 2/3 palmful
A handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
A handful of chives, finely chopped
1 lemon, cut into wedges

Yields: Serves 4

Preparation
Combine buttermilk and yogurt in bowl. Cut chicken breast pieces in half across the breast at widest part. Season all of the chicken pieces liberally with salt and pepper, and submerge them in the buttermilk-yogurt mixture.

In a heavy pot over medium heat, heat a couple of inches of frying oil until small bubbles appear in a rapid stream when a wooden utensil handle is placed in the oil.

In a large paper sack, combine the flour with dill, dried onion and garlic, cayenne, parsley and chives. Add half the chicken to the bag, roll up the top of the bag and shake to coat. Add floured chicken to oil and add the remaining chicken pieces to flour. Fry chicken 8-10 minutes, until deeply golden and cooked through. Serve with wedges of lemon.

I'll try it sometime within the coming weekend some pictures of during and after. Oh P.S. is anyone else confused with the Backstreet Boys being back on tour like they're popular? Yes I know, Tim, Backstreet Boys will always be the "bomb dot-com" in your eyes.;)

No comments: