Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Most Eventful Week of My Life

Last Saturday Kynna came to stay with us while her parents were living it up on a cruise ship somewhere in the Caribbean. It was a lot of fun to have come and stay and really... ummmm adventurous. The first few days went by as smoothly as could be expected because after all she is 4 and really, the whole fourth year is all reminding them of the rules and answering the constant stream of incessant questions. Amidst the "... then you can let me do this, okay?" and the "Why?"s we did have a few adventures. On Tuesday Riley was playing on the floor and I was reading a book while Kynna was playing and watching TV. Kynna came to me dancing and grabbing herself, again she's four, telling me she needed to go potty. It went a little like this:

"I need to go potty."
"Okay hurry and go then, you don't want to have an accident."
She runs off and comes right back still dancing and grabbing herself.
"Um Mel I go in your bathroom okay?"
I'm reading... "Uh what?"
" I go in your bathroom okay?" "Okay?"
"Okay that's fine just don't touch anything sharp in there."
She runs down the hall.
I'm reading absorbed into my book.
"Mel!" (Shrieking) Kynna comes running into the living room, tears streaming down her face. "Dawaterkipskamop!!" She's crying so I can't really understand her.
"What? Calm down and tell me."
"Da water keeps comin' up!"
Oh crap.
I run to the bathroom to see water flowing over the edge of the toilet and rising about half an inch up the walls. Kynna is done crying now because it's now no longer scary but a huge splash session.
" Kynna, please don't come in here. I need to get this cleaned up." I'm frantically throwing down towels and lifting the float in the toilet to get the water to stop.
"Okay. I'm going to go brush my teeth now okay? Okay?"
"Okay okay, just go I don't want you to get all wet."
More towels and muttered swears.
Kynna comes back
"Here Mel I got some towels."
"Thanks, just put it on the floor." The smallest washcloth in the world falls to the floor immediately soaked.
"Look Mel I hold my pants up and they don't get wet!"
"Kynna I need you to get out of the bathroom."

After all the towels I own and a few rolls of paper towels, the bathroom was finally dry. Now I just had a whole bunch of towel laundry to do. Sigh. I walk down the hall to the other bathroom. Remember how she went to brush her teeth. Sigh. Yeah toothpaste, EVERYWHERE. I walk into the bathroom to find my counters covered in blue toothpaste, all over the sink, on the walls there was even some on the mirror. Sigh. She's four, she's four, she's four, she's four. I keep telling myself.
So that was Tuesday.
The rest of the week went by rather uneventfully, a few time outs, lots of fruit snacks and rough nights for Riley. On Friday, which was incidentally my birthday, we hung out until it was time to pick up Tim from work and then we took her out to her Aunt Lisa's who ended up with eight children for the weekend. I love my nieces and nephews, but I don't envy her at all.

No comments: