Wednesday, December 15, 2010

She Sleeps! Thank Heavens She Sleeps!

After the first few nights of adjustments, I'm happy to say that Bridget now sleeps for most of the night only waking up two times to eat. If we can think back to about a year ago, Riley was about 6 months old and still not sleeping through the night, so this is a very welcome change. I remember when the last batch of babies were born, and mommies were talking about how well their kids slept, and me feeling so left out because Riley REFUSED to sleep. She would get so tired she couldn't do anything else but cry, but she would still stay awake. Those were tired days for Daddy. I do pretty well with only a few hours of sleep, so it doesn't really matter if I get woken up, but Tim is useless the next day if he doesn't get a full night. Now with two kids it's a little different story. Last night for example Bridget didn't thinks she needed to go to sleep until about 3 in the morning, which isn't 7am like a few nights ago, so I'm counting my blessings, so once I finally got her to sleep. I laid down and not two minutes later Riley has a nightmare. Honestly? I ask myself, Not even a 20 minute power nap? But it didn't matter because by that time I was past my wall and I couldn't fall asleep anyways. So I go get Riley and bring her into our bed with us to get her to calm down. Her nightmares are so vivid that she either has to watch TV or read a book to get whatever scared her out of her head before she'll go back to sleep, and then she sleeps in between Tim and I on my pillow with her arm around my neck. So I quietly hummed a Itsy Bitsy Spider and she did the finger actions and passed out with her arm in its spot on my neck. As soon as I closed my eyes, Bridget poops, waking herself up. Sigh. So I crawl out of Riley's clutches and take Bridget down the hall to Riley's room so I don't wake up Tim or Riley. Bridget gets changed, fed and rocked back to sleep. I go to take Riley back in her room and HOLY CRAP, this child is a tank! Compared to the little newborn, Riley feels like she's filled with bricks. Thankfully she transfers from my bed to her bed well and sleeps in until 8 30 this morning when Tim was awake to deal with her. Sleeping adventures are so great aren't they? Some people just can't function without exorbant amounts of sleep, but thankfully I was blessed with insomnia since birth myself so I've adjusted my habits to run my batteries off what little sleep I do get. And when all else fails, I can take a nap when the kids are napping. I am Awesome. I'm a Champ. I'm a Mom.

No comments: