Saturday, December 11, 2010

Bridget Lanie 12-06-2010

So since it's been six days, I suppose I should write about what everyone already knows. Bridget is finally here and healthy and we couldn't be happier. Not only was this labor and delivery a VERY different experience from Riley's birth, but Bridget is the opposite in looks from Riley. Her dark hair, skin and eyes are a stark contrast when she's placed next to her sister, who BTW, is in LOVE with her. She likes to ask to hold her and give her kisses, and pat her head. She also likes to make sure she has everything she needs and she is such a good helper. It may be gross but this birth was so awesome in comparison with Riley's that I have to share it. we went into the hospital at 8 am on Monday and they started me on a drip of Pitocin. Once my contractions were in a steady rhythm they brought in a resident to break my water. He was to say the least... unsuccessful and kind of awkward. So about an hour later a different resident came in and was able to break it with the scalp lead they were going to use to monitor the baby's heartbeat in a study to see how diagnostic the scalp leads are in comparison to the surface monitors they use with the TOCO on the mom's belly. Anyways, they finally got the water broke and about an hour after that it was time to get the drugs. I prefer to wait on getting the epidurals until just before I know they are going to get pretty bad, because with Riley my pain tolerance level went up with amount of drugs but unfortunately the pain knew it could go higher so I felt pretty much EVERYTHING with Riley, not a pleasant experience but not one to make me never want to have more children, hence Bridget. I'm happy to say that I made it without an epidural for the majority of my labor, but when I did get it I was grateful. So I waited until I was on the border of uncomfortable-ness and pain then asked for the epidural. Tim did not get sick this time, probably because he was sitting down and wouldn't come near me, but he didn't get dizzy and we all need something to be proud of right? So I was all numbed up and ready to go by 3 but then my blood pressure dropped and the movement from one place to another made Bridget's heart rate drop. The nurse came in and laid me flat on my back and made me use the oxygen mask, so I was not only experiencing severe claustrophobia, but I also got heartburn from being on my back, so that part, not so great, but my regular nurse came in and put me back up in sitting position so I was grateful. Time ticked by and I was just letting my uterus do the work of pushing the baby down. 4:30 rolled around and my doctor came in to see how I was doing. It was TIME. My doctor told me to give one little push to see just how far she was and doc barely had time to get her smock on before baby was RIGHT THERE. One half push, there was the head "Do you want to touch it?" the nurse asked. Me: "Uhhh, no, I'm good." I was just relieved I wasn't going to have to push for two and a half hours. Another little half push and I had a vernix covered baby on my chest. Lovely. Don't get me wrong, it is an AWESOME experience to have a baby, but let's not lie to ourselves it's... to put it lightly, gooey. Here's a shout out to my awesome mom-in-law Julie who patiently ushered herself out of the room every time I was not decent, I know it's silly but I appreciate it! Tim and I are so blessed to have these two beautiful babies in our lives and it makes, for me anyways, this mortal life that much more live-able.